Buying a house with separate business buildings

Diskutiere Buying a house with separate business buildings im MV - Allgemeine Fragen Forum im Bereich Mietvertrag über Wohnraum; Good day to everyone I would like to start by saying I have read a lot of topics, but my German language proficiency is not reliable yet nor web...

1. #1 razvanpas, 01.08.2018
    razvanpas

razvanpas Neuer Benutzer

Good day to everyone

I would like to start by saying I have read a lot of topics, but my German language proficiency is not reliable yet nor web translation. Thus I hope I will get some answer in English.

We would like to buy a property with an old house, a business building and a big hall/deposit. We are private persons, never had in mind to start any business, until this property. My wife got employed in Germany and I am working for a foreign company and I am not paying any taxes in Germany.
    Being in BW land, the price is very high, therefore there is no area for errors.
    We would like to live in the house and rent the business unit together or without the depo for now to cut down the expenses.
    I would need help to answer the following questions:
    1. Like private person, will I be able to rent the business side to a company/firma (for office use)?
    2. What taxes should we pay in this case?
    3. Before putting a price to it, the current owner was having his company headquarters there. With necessary changes, would I be able to rent the building as an apartment block to private persons? ( in case the building is categorized as business)

Thank you in advance for your considerations.

2. Anzeige

3. Andres

Andres
    Super-Moderator

This is the worst possible way to start being a landlord. You should accept the fact that you will make mistakes, not only due to your limited language skills. Most of the members of this forum have experienced this (more or less painful) by renting to the wrong person, entering in disadvantageous contracts, underestimating technical difficulties with the property and so on.

It is one thing to deliberately enter this business to make a profit. I would think very hard before doing so just because the property you want to buy has additional buildings that you have to rent out in order to make it affordable. My first thought was: "Bad idea!" :155:

There are no general legal obstacles that prevent you personally from renting out parts of your property. However, there may be limitations on how these buildings may be used (housing, office, storage, store, ...). Some of these limitations might be changed, others are fixed. It is very important to know and understand these limitations before entering in any contract. You should not take for granted that the way the previous owner used the property was completely legal.

Legal affairs aside, the biggest risk with any business is, whether or not you will find customers for your "product" at a price that allows you to stay in business. The more limitations there are on the use of your property, the more difficult this could be. So you need to determine if there is a reasonable demand for this kind of property in the local market.

When buying the property you will be charged with a tax on the price of the property (Grunderwerbsteuer). In BW the rate is currently at 5 percent.

Rent revenues are subject to taxation in Germany even if your work income is not (beschränkte Steuerpflicht). You have to pay taxes on the surplus of your income from rent over your expenses at a progressive rate from 0 to 45 percent. It is quite difficult to give you a more precise estimate. Therefore this subject should be discussed in detail with a tax consultant.

In addition to that, you have to pay property taxes (Grundsteuer). A typical rental agreement in Germany would state that property taxes will be shared along the tenants, so you would only have to absorb the fraction that corresponds with your own usage.

Depending on the type of business your prospective tenants are running, they may wish to pay sales taxes on their rent (Umsatzsteueroption), allowing them to get certain tax refunds (Vorsteuerabzug). I doubt any attempt to phrase the details in English (or any language other than German) would do you any good, so let's leave it at that.

Should you ever sell the property, winnings from that sale could also result in taxation similar to income from work or rent (0 to 45 percent progressive). This can be avoided by holding the property for at least 10 years or only using it for your own housing (Spekulationssteuer).

Hope I didn't forget anything ...

As mentioned above, the most probable situation is that you have to file a petition to change the allowed uses of this building (Nutzungsänderung). This may come with various legal impositions and fees. In some situations it might not be possible at all.

4. #3 razvanpas, 01.08.2018
    razvanpas

razvanpas Neuer Benutzer

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Andres. It is quite a coincidence (or not) with what one my german friends said. I will soon digest all the infos you challange me with and I will give you my counter opinion, hopefully any :).

Thema:

Buying a house with separate business buildings

Die Seite wird geladen...

Buying a house with separate business buildings - Ähnliche Themen

1. Separater Garagenmietvertrag mit Mindestmietdauer vorzeitig kündbar?

Separater Garagenmietvertrag mit Mindestmietdauer vorzeitig kündbar?: Mit dem Mieter einer Wohnung sei ein SEPARATER Garagenmietvertrag geschlossen worden. Dieser beinhaltet einen gegenseitigen Kündigungsverzicht...
  2. Erfahrungen in Alco House 5.1

Erfahrungen in Alco House 5.1: Guten Tag. Suche jemanden mit Erfahrungen im Programm Alco House 5.1 Lg Ilbruck
  3. Wohnungskauf: Küche direkt vom Kaufpreis abziehen und dann über separaten Vetrag

Wohnungskauf: Küche direkt vom Kaufpreis abziehen und dann über separaten Vetrag: Guten Tag, ich hab sehr spezielle Fragen wegen Küche und Notar... Der Verkäufer möchte die Wohnung so verkaufen: 35.000 im Notarvertrag Neuwertige...
  4. Verwaltungskosten für eine separate, einzelne Garage?

Verwaltungskosten für eine separate, einzelne Garage?: Ich bin Eigentümer einer Garage mitsamt dem Grund, auf dem sie steht. Sie gehörte früher zu einem Haus bei uns in der Nachbarschaft. Jenes Haus...
  5. Einfamilienhaus in separate Wohnungen unterteilen

Einfamilienhaus in separate Wohnungen unterteilen: Hallo zusammen, bin zum ersten Mal hier und hoffe ich kann einige Infos bezüglich meines Vorhabens von euch erhalten: Ich würde sehr gerne ein...
  1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies um Inhalte zu personalisieren. Außerdem werden auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Mit dem weiteren Aufenthalt akzeptierst du diesen Einsatz von Cookies.
    Information ausblenden